Disclaimer: I received the BUFF ThermoNet Multifunctional Headwear and Hat to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
I’ve previously had the opportunity to test products by BUFF, and have liked all of them so far (reviews: Merino Wool BUFF and BUFF UV Arm Sleeves), so why not see what the ThermoNet Multifunctional Headwear and Hat are all about. This ThermoNet collection is designed for maximum protection from the cold, and being that I live in Minnesota, the only way to make it through winter running is with cold weather gear…so bring on the testing!
If you aren’t familiar with the BUFF ThermoNet line (which you may not be since this is one of their newest collections), here are some of the details from their website:
- Featuring PrimaLoft® yarn
- High-thermal insulation: mimics the warmth of down
- 4 times warmer than microfiber
- High warmth-to-weight ratio means you don’t need bulk to stay warm
- Moisture management
“This comfortable, thin multifunctional headwear is made with breathable, durable PrimaLoft® yarn that is four times warmer than regular microfiber. The result of years of research and testing, ThermoNet™ multifunctional headwear wicks moisture away from your skin while trapping heat inside, keeping you comfortable and dry in even the most frigid winter weather.”
I wore the ThermoNet hat and multifunctional headwear while running various distances with temperatures ranging from the 20-60 degree mark. I varied the use of the multifunctional headwear from my head (like a headband), to my neck (like a neck warmer), to my wrist (like a sweat band), and obviously wore the hat like a hat.
Here are my take-aways:
Color Options (visually appealing)
- In the Fall/Winter I have found that a lot of my cold weather gear is in the black to grey color scheme, so it is nice to see that BUFF is putting out bright colorful designs for its ThermoNet collection. I tested the Arrowhead design, but there are more options out there to liven up your wardrobe.
- Both items had a lot of stretch to them and didn’t feel restricting in any way while wearing. I bring this up as you might think that the multifunctional headwear around your neck would be restricting while running, but it wasn’t at all. It even allowed for easy breathing when I had it over my mouth and nose when it felt like it was 21 degrees out!! The hat fit nicely, and even with earbuds in, it didn’t feel like it was pushing the earbuds into my ears (that overly tight feeling). Very happy with this!!
- Honestly I would say that when I ran with temps in the 50-60 degrees this gear was on the verge of being too warm and needed to be removed mid run. On one of these warm runs I dipped the multifunctional headwear in cold water and wore it on my wrist, which worked great for cooling me down on a warm afternoon. As the temps dipped down to 20-40 degrees, this product was perfect!! The colder it got, the more I fully appreciated the PrimaLoft yarn. For not being big and bulky, this collection sure can keep you warm (a comfortable warm, not too hot)!!
- Lets be honest, who doesn’t need a winter running hat!! In the past I have used the BUFF multifunctional headwear as a headband to cover my ears in the winter (which I will continue to do), but to also have the option to have the same cold weather benefits as all the multifunctional headwear, but in the form of a hat…WIN WIN!
My only complaint I have is that I wish they had come out with running gloves to match the multifunctional headwear and hat!!
BUFF has a ton of products out there, and is continually coming out with new gear. Make sure to follow them on social media to stay in the loop:
The price point of the ThermoNet line ranges from $27 (Hat and Multifunctional Headwear) to $37 (Balaclava). If you are interested in any of the BUFF ThermoNet line (Multifunctional Headwear, Hat, or Balaclava), or any of their other products, you can receive 20% off your entire order from BUFF (as long as your order includes at least one product from the ThermoNet collection) with the code “BIBRAVETHERMONET20”. This deal expires on 11/21/17!
Also make sure you check out the BibRave Twitter Chat, #BibChat, on Tuesday, November 14th at 8 PM CT where BUFF will be the sponsor.