Disclaimer: I received a pair of the Under Armour HOVR Sonic Shoes to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
Under Armour + Comfortable Shoes + Bluetooth Technology = A Match Made In Heaven
This is what I keep telling myself after testing the new Under Armour HOVR Sonic shoes over the last month and a half.
To reiterate this fact, just look at the picture below. As of the time I am writing this review, I have already logged 124 miles on these shoes.
For a runner, I don’t think you need to hear anything else about a shoes comfort and fit other than how many miles someone has run in them. If they didn’t fit good, weren’t comfortable, and weren’t light weight, do you think I would be using them for EVERY RUN I have done since beginning to test these…I think not!
Testing of these shoes was done on a treadmill, on paved paths, on snow covered paths, and on turf. I would say it was about 50/50 for outdoor running compared to indoor running. On the snow covered paths, I wore spikes over my shoes for added traction.
Here are my takeaways from testing these shoes:
Bluetooth technology with MapMyRun – There is actually Bluetooth capabilities in the shoe. This means that you can go out for a run with no cell phone or GPS tracking device, get home, open the MapMyRun app on your phone, and upload all your running data that was stored in your shoe during that run. This includes cadence, stride length, mile splits, in addition to total distance, duration, average pace, calories burned. I liked that I was able to view stats like cadence and stride length to determine if I am consistent between runs, or if I vary depending on how well the run felt. Extra data can only help aid in my running future, and I like data!!
Comfort – If you take nothing else away from this review, just remember that these shoes are beyond comfortable. They have a lower profile tongue which isn’t bulky at all, and holds its shape, which aids in getting that perfect fit each and every time. The mesh covering of these shoes makes them extremely breathable.
Look/Colors (I got black, but there are also white, Pierce (a reddish color), grey, and blue which would all be great choices as well). Other pros tested the white and reddish color shoes, which you can see pictures of these shoes in use in their reviews listed below. I am happy with black shoes as I know they will hide dirt. Plus, even the white cushion of my shoes has black/grey specs in it, which again masks any dirt that would collect on them.
The only complaint I have, which is more of a laziness on my part, is that I typically forget to open the MapMyRun app right when I get home to sync my shoes. Then if I want to do it later, I have to open the app and find my shoes and move my right shoe around a bit to get it to be recognized by the app to push through the sync. Again, this is just me being lazy, but I would like to automatically push through the exercise to the app without me having to do anything.
These shoes were newly released to the public at the beginning of February 2018, and are currently retailing for $110.
Here is what Under Armour describes at the DNA of these shoes:
- DIGITALLY CONNECTED: (UA.com & Brand House Exclusive!) UA’s Record Sensor™ technology tracks, analyzes & stores virtually every running metric so you know exactly what you need to do to get better
- UA HOVR® technology provides ‘zero gravity feel’ to maintain energy return that helps eliminate impact step after step
- Compression mesh Energy Web contains & molds UA HOVR® foam to give back the energy you put in
- Microthread upper dries fast & provides a breathable, compression-like fit that delivers lightweight directional strength & unmatched comfort to help you go the distance
- Ventilated midfoot panel increases breathability
- Unique tongue construction is attached to the footbed by stretchable support wings to maintain a snug fit throughout the foot
- External TPU heel counter for additional support & structure
- Removable, anti-microbial Ortholite® sockliner molds to the foot for customized comfort & cushion
- Blown rubber under the forefoot is lightweight yet incredibly responsive
- High-abrasion rubber placed under the heel to help absorb ground contact
- Offset: 8mm
- Weight: 9.6oz
Under Armour is really hitting a sweet spot when it comes to running shoes. I have loved the Horizon RTT trail shoes I previously tested (see review) and LOVE the HOVR Sonic’s for all other types of running!